Monday, January 16, 2006

First Class...First Job

I had two interviews last week for tutors post in tuition centre. And today I was supposed to return to one of them to so called confirm my application and make arrangements for classes I would be teaching. How did it go.?

I end up teaching straight away. Yes, and mind you, I'm teaching home schooling kids from 9.00 to 12.00. Four of them actually (All Boys), two of them are seven, another is six which loves creating lots of babies tantrums and another is twelve. Yes twelve, but he's a Korean who's only there learning ENGLISH. And yes he can't really speak any language I understand and I have to guess every time what he's trying to tell me. (There was once he wanted to go to the bathroom and have problems telling me that he has to use his hands and cover his private part to show me he has a terrible urge to pee) HAHAHAHAH...!!!

As they're small kids, its hard to make them sit down or even make them work. Not to mention try to settle them down. In fact, the first thing one of the seven year old said when the principal introduce me was, "You're our new teacher.? Aren't you too young to teach.? " I can't remember what I said to him, but it really swept me off my feet as I find it pretty hilarious as its coming out from a really naughty seven year old who can't stop talking bout games and his flash back. He's the only one who can't sit down to do his work and boy not only this is my first class in my job, there's so many little things that's driving me nuts all while.

First, it was a matter of getting them do their work. As they're home schooling kids, the six year old is kindergarten level and is always asking for this and that and at the same time I have to teach this two seven year old (grade two) with their work books and not forgetting the Korean kid. I had them write lines which is such a problem for them as they never seem to write lines before!! And also the six year old who clearly announced he doesn't like coloring nor drawing but all he does is sharpening his colour pencils and even CRAYONS!!!! And manage to dirty up the entire corner where the waste basket is with all the pencils shreds.

Okay, there was also break time and I didn't know about it all.? It was when elder kids around 10 and 12 from next door class came over and said It's break time!!! Where the freak did that come from.? Apparently break time was from 10.30 to 11.00 and they just went to the store place. Where its clearly stated at the door, STAFF ONLY and where each of them take maggi (small packets of instant noodles where you just add hot water) and even hot chocolate packets. Right, recess. They ate their maggi. What a scene!!

Then, suddenly I have no idea why was the main door was unlocked and they ran all the way to the office at the end of the block (we're in first floor) which is the same company as this tuition centre and few of them went!!! And I have to chase them back!!!

Then another major tantrum. This six year old, the youngest off all was accidentally kicked by another seven year old boy and made such a huge fuss out of it and start crying and kicking on the floor!!! All those tantrums. This kid went next door crying and complaining to his 10 year old brother who didn't bother him at all. Guess this scene must be pretty usual.

Then when he finally settle down, the six year old created another scene. Apparently his brother which is the other seven year old kid was standing at the six year old kid's chair cleaning the white board when he just decided to take the chair by pulling it off straight away. And well, seven year old Harrison fell from his chair and start complaining though he didn't cry. Just great, and these two brothers as if wants to launch a fight when again Harrison came complaining at "Teacher Kelly" that his younger brother, Johnason scratched his back -.-" ( both of them are very okay by the way)

On top of that, everything look more like baby sitting them. Hahahaha. It was pretty tired and the pay is pretty erm. Dunno how to phrase it but beside daily home schooling kids, will start teaching one on one with a 16 year old O level kid in the afternoon soon. Kid, hahaha. I love that word....

Cheers

No comments: