Thursday, March 23, 2006

Durio

I have this thing about durian that I couldn't stand. If you're thinking that I can't resist the urge to gobble down the moment I sighted any durian, you're very wrong. The thing is, I don't eat durians. I even hate the way it smelled. Sometimes it even make me gag.

I can't remember when was the last time I REALLY tasted durian. The last time my mouth or lips had any encounter with durian was the last New Year Eve's night. My beloved aunty bake a durian cake and to give FACE, I haven't any choice but at least have a small piece. And well being the goodie nice little girl I am, I wouldn't say NO right. Its just a so called not very polite thing to do. ( According to the traditional ancient manners, ahemmmmm) And after haven't tasted durian for ages, instead of reminding how good it's supposed to be, it tasted weird. And no, I still hate durian!!

Actually, I wasn't born a person who doesn't eat durian at all. In fact, when I was a kiddo, I used to like durian. Weird hoh.? But since moving to KK, I sort of got put off by it. Don't know why, but just no longer eat nor like the smell. And my parents loves durian. Especially dearest mom who sometimes actually take durian ONLY as a meal. And I'll just hide in my room to prevent from that foul odour. According to Wikipedia, it resemble PIG SHIT smell!!

"" Its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. Despite its great local popularity, the raw fruit is forbidden from some establishments such as hotels, subways and airports, including public transportation in Southeast Asia.-Richard Sterling (Travel and food writer)

And that odour actually stays quite a while in your mouth. Even if your wash or gargle with water, the bloody sickening odour just doesn't leave like that!! That's quite a trade mark isn't it.? No wonder it's call the king of fruit cos there's no other fruits that leaves behind such a MEMORABLE signature. Even fruits like mangosteen can leave a great deal of red colour in your fingers but those can be wash away in a jiffy. Not like the UNBEARABLE odour that lingers around. Not only in your mouth, its actually the whole damn room or space. I still remember my water bottle smells of durian just because I left it in the kitchen with the lid open after I washed it!! Imagine what a coincidence when my friend drank my water and said it taste greats cos it smells of durian!! Let's not forget the AFTER of consumed durians. The "wonderful fragrance" remake their red carpet appearance after ingested with non other than the famous BURPING process!! One URGHHHHHHHHH and here comes the popular durian gas!! ( It really sucks when someone who just took durian earlier burps in the car. Windows down the instance!! )

Another thing is the famous Hong Kong 臭豆腐 (Smelly Beancurd) When I went to Hong Kong, I didn't get to taste it or even smell it. But my relatives told me that its not hard to find it. Just that my mom doesn't want to because back in few years ago, we came across the real deal. It wasn't cooked which mean its actually raw. And the smell, !@#$%^&*($!@#$%. It actually smelled like the real POO!! I just couldn't understand why people actually can stand to place a similar piece of human ingestion system made cake into their very own mouth.? There must be a reason behind those offensive smell right.? Still, I guess you wouldn't know unless you really encounter it yourself. But seriously, everyone said the same thing. In Hong Kong, you wouldn't miss it if the famous beancurd is around because the "wonderful" smell can reached your nostrils miles away from where it is. IF there is that TOFU stall. The entire street will smelled of it. Can you imagine, a whole street that stinks of poo.? The thought of it makes me gag!!!! YUCK!! But Hongkie thinks otherwise. Go figure!!

Anyway enough about those AROMA. Another 3 more months to linger around before the IPTA ( Institut Pengajian Tinggi Awam) results is announced. Probably around mid June till end of June then we'll get to know our fate. And from next week onwards, I'm starting my new job!! My 3 times a week part time kakak (maid) is going back to her hometown for two months!! And dear mom insisted her not to look for any replacement because Ah Moi Kecil (aka ME) is very free and will fill in the free vacancy!!! Oh dear, lets just hope there's really not that much to do beside my usual chores!!!

No comments: