Friday, December 28, 2007

不溶化的冰淇淋。。。

I got my first exposure to freezing weather and temperature of below zero a couple of days ago but disregard the fact that I was wearing 4 tops, 2 bottoms and 2 pairs of socks plus the scarf, hat, gloves and looking like an oversize wrapped dumpling, I still manage to have a hell of a time. I must say I enjoy the cold in a weird way and love the visible foggy breath that I exhaled right in front of me.

Though as cold as it might be, I do not enjoy the dryness of the air for the humidity is so low that I had to put on lip balm every alternate hour. Not to mention my cracking lips and nose with skin peeling off by themselves. This is what they call, dry cold, not wet cold. If it's wet, it would snow.

Yes, was slightly disappointed as it didn't snow throughout the entire week there. At least not enough to be actually called snowing, first morning there, we were welcomed with some white sandy stuff on the ground, as it snowed a little while we were sleeping. But still, no white Christmas.

Another extraordinary thing about the cold weather was that you can stare directly at the sun, or just watch it like its the moon. In fact, I didn't even realise it was the sun because it is unusual for it to behave like that, to be so visible and friendly to the naked eye. If it wasn't for the missing rabbit shape on the moon, I couldn't have tell the difference between the sun and the moon in broad day light. With morning that is slightly colder, the sun is visible without its mighty glare for it only gets warmer around mid day and looking at it directly feels perfectly fine. In fact, it is rather interesting.

When I first got there, I was quite taken aback by the cold that my fingers were numb to the extent that it felt like frozen sausage even under my thick woolly gloves. It is difficult to keep them flexible but important or else they would turn purple, then black. But of course it got better after you get used to it. Not to mention we venture into the city a couple of days later after being in the country.

Also had to get used to numb face, cold cheeks and the soothing hot soup and not to mention the extra calories one had to divulge in order to deal with the weather. Okay, so perhaps its just another reason for me to put on extra weight but still, its a good one isn't it.?

We were told that temperature from -2 to 2 degree Celsius is considered a normal winter day. In fact it is hardly unusual for them. Because we were lucky that there wasn't any strong wind, just some light breeze or else we would have experienced an actual winter iced day.

And I love eating ice-cream there for it never melts and trust me, it doesn't even matter even if its cold.

Cheers.

2 comments:

Kit said...

Nice one, where r the photos?
(stupid me forward this entry to you thinking it was a comment...haha...sorry sorry sorry).

Plunny said...

Haha....paiseh to post pics on blog..perhaps later...=)